1. Tourism began on July 5, 1841, when Thomas Cook organised a trip from Market Harborough to Loughborough for a temperance meeting.
2. By 1845, Cook’s tourist industry had grown to offering trips to Glasgow for a guinea.
3. His first foreign trip was a six-day stay in Paris in 1861, where the British tourists were greeted by band music and a cannon salute on arrival.
5. Tourism is worth more than £120billion a year to the UK.
The word ‘tourist’ had been in use since 1760
7. Nearly three million people in the UK are employed in the tourism-related industry.
8. Tourism accounts for five per cent of the world’s economy.
9. Fuels, chemicals and automotive products are the only sectors earning more in global exports.
10. The first space tourist was US businessman Dennis Tito who was reported to have paid $20m for a trip to the International Space Station in 2001.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Unit 6, 19-33, Station Road, Ashford, Kent, TN23 1PP
Tel: 01233 626364
31. The Broadway,Elm Park, Hornchurch, Essex RM12 4RN
Tel: 01708 452545 or 01708 440002
© Copyright 2016YoungsTravel